Tai Chi and Qigong for Beginners! New Session Starts October 2026

Would you like to learn Tai Chi or Qigong this fall? Do you live in or near Hamilton, Ontario? As I write this, it's mid-September, 2026. Soon enough, October will be upon us and it will be time to start teaching another session of Tai Chi for Beginners. I and my co-instructors run in-person classes that teach authentic Tai Chi, Qigong, and meditation. Our location is the Regent Health Centre at 150 Locke Street South.

My name is Melissa. This fall will be my  thirty-fifth year practicing Tai Chi. (I started when I was twenty-one in case you like simple addition.) I began my journey when a cycling accident left me with serious injuries. As my scar tissue and damaged joints improved, Tai Chi, Qigong, and meditation became part of my daily routine. "What life breaks, Tai Chi will fix" has become one of my personal mantras.

You probably have your own reasons for wanting to learn. Maybe it's a specific healing goal like the one I had. An interest in Traditional Chinese Medicine. A desire for something deeper in a workout. A fascination with the idea of a soft martial art. Curiosity about qi or the idea of energy. Mental focus. Inner peace.

Often the inspiration comes from seeing people practicing Tai Chi and wanting to feel it for yourself.

I can't wait to hear all about your reasons for wanting to learn. When October rolls around, my co-instructors and I will be delighted to welcome you to class.

It is time to sign up for October classes now. We have a cap of 16 on attendance because of the limited size of our studio. Signing up for class works just like making an appointment. It reserves your spot. You won't be charged for any classes you don't attend. If you have to cancel, you can do that anytime before class. (We appreciate it if you do let us know you can't come. Maybe someone else can have that slot.)

This October, Beginners classes will run on Thursdays from 5:15-6:15pm (Instructor: Sam Rush) and Saturdays from 1-2pm (Instructor: Marilyn Nazar). Beginners are also welcome to attend Qigong on Monday afternoons from 1-2pm. (I teach this class and all Continuing Tai Chi classes.) 

Fees for the 2026 season will be $25 + HST per class ($28.25) or $100 + HST for a pass that allows you to attend unlimited Tai Chi Beginner and Qigong classes for the calendar month. We strongly encourage you to attend as many classes as you can. 

In October, there are no classes on Thanksgiving Saturday (October 10) or Thanksgiving Monday (October 12), so plan accordingly. Passes or payment for individual classes are made at the Centre front desk when you check in for class.  Even if you put a credit card on your account, you won't be charged before you arrive. 

TO SIGN UP: 

The link below will take you to a calendar with the first two Tai Chi Beginners classes of the new season--Thursday, October 1st at 5:15, and Saturday, October 3rd at 1pm. If you click on one of those days, the system will prompt you to book that class and any other classes you want. Or you can navigate to the time and date you want. I recommend signing up for at least one or two classes, more if you're sure you want to attend. 

https://regenthealthcentre.janeapp.com/#/discipline/17/treatment/126 

If that link doesn't work for you, please call the Regent Centre front desk at (905) 523-4999 for help with booking, or email me at smithmk2@gmail.com and let me know which classes you'd like to sign up for. 

As always if you have questions or concerns, please let me know! I am very much looking forward to meeting you this fall.

 

 

 

No comments: