Our new season begins in October 2023! Join us for Tai Chi and Qigong at the Regent Centre on Locke Street South.

Let's Keep Practicing (Online Classes Starting Wednesday, March 25th, 2020)

Dear All,

This has been a week, hasn't it? A week that has seemed to last approximately a thousand years.

BUT given the new reality:

It is my absolutely weird pleasure to announce online classes. 


The first day will be this Wednesday, March 25th, 2020. 

The schedule:

Monday
Qigong 1pm-2pm
Intermediate Tai Chi 2-3pm
Continuing 3-3:30

Wednesday
Beginner's Tai Chi 1-2pm
Intermediate Tai Chi 2-3pm
Continuing 3-3:30

Saturday
Qigong Noon-1pm
Beginner's Tai Chi 1-2pm
Continuing 2-3:30

The Intermediate Classes will include some instruction for continuing practitioners if they wish to attend. I'll answer any questions you have and offer continuing level corrections during this time. The material we cover will be intermediate level, i.e., practicing the set, polishing different sections of it, and going over some foundation technique.

Continuing-only sessions will include instruction in Sword. (Let's break some lamps together!)

Because of the disruption to our regular teaching schedule, I'm planning to do review with the Tai Chi Beginners before we continue to learn new material, to make sure you remember what you've learned so far, so if you've forgotten stuff, don't worry.

Monday's Qigong sessions will be our health recovery sessions, where we can troubleshoot any issues you may have. The health recovery classes are a time for us to discuss common physical, mental, and emotional challenges, and to talk about how to use Qigong to overcome them. Saturday will focus on flow, technique, and small set routines. Qigong is open to all levels. Even if you're a brand new beginner, you might benefit from Qigong. If you've been doing Tai Chi for a while, you'll definitely benefit from Qigong!

How to join


I will be using Zoom to run these classes. If you're not familiar, this is a video conferencing service. I'm not going to be publishing the link to these meetings publicly on my website.

If you want to join, please email me at smithmk2@gmail.com and I will send you an invitation.

***If you've received this message by email because you're subscribed to the blog, don't hit reply to this message! See how it says no-reply at the top? There's a reason for that. Just start a new email and make sure my address is there. If all else fails, text or call at (905) 521-0043 and let me know you want to join. So long as I have a functional email address for you, we should be fine.***

You can download the Zoom app / program for free (if you're on a computer, you'll want the first option on that page) or, when you click on the link I'll send you before the session, you can join through your web browser.

So again, to join, email me at smithmk2@gmail.com and I will send you an invitation. A few minutes before the class, just click on the link in the invitation, follow the instructions, and you'll be all set.


To answer some of your concerns ahead of time:


This is weird.

Believe me I know. If you've heard me talk about being filmed before, you know I am not in love with the idea. I hate the idea of you all not practicing more, though, so here we go, this is the future, the future is now.

I don't want to appear on camera.

That's fine! You'll still be able to see me and follow along. You can ask questions via audio if you have a microphone. (Your phone, tablet, or laptop probably have perfectly functional cameras and microphones, but you can choose to leave these turned off when you join the meeting.) There is also a chat function if you would prefer to type out questions or requests.

If you want corrections or help with something, it's very likely that I'll need to see you, so it might be appropriate to have your camera on. It's up to you how you want to engage. Absolutely no judgement here.

I will also say that it will be strange for me to run classes without being able to see any of you, so if you're on the fence or at all inclined to turn your camera on, I'll be really happy!

Zoom has a recording function, but recording will be disabled for these classes, and I ask that you not use other software to record these sessions.

How is this going to work?

It's going to be me in my living room, teaching the same lessons I would in person. I'll be using my laptop camera and a somewhat good quality microphone that may or may not pick up every sound in the room, including the click of my dogs' nails as they walk across the floor. Production values will be low, but we'll get to work out together.

How is this going to work for Tai Chi specifically?

We'll see! I have a 12 foot by 7 foot space for Tai Chi. I can get most of it (10 feet by 7?) into the frame of my laptop's camera. There will probably be some stepping back so I can stay in the frame. This is a great opportunity for us to all practice doing a set in a limited space. Doing the set in a tiny space is better than not doing it at all.

Worst case scenario, we'll learn how to do our foundation exercises really, really well.

Can I Invite My Friend Who Lives Far Away?

Sure! I am inviting my friends who live far away. Just let them know that Qigong is a good option for new beginners, as is Beginners Tai Chi.

How Much Does this Cost?

If you paid a monthly fee for March with the idea that you would be studying at the Regent Centre, I really don't want you to pay any more at present. I consider these online classes to be an extension and continuation of our in-person practice at the studio. For the next week or two, I expect we'll still be ironing things out.

My plan going forward is that online classes will be a voluntary payment service. This decision reflects the fact that things are up in the air for all of us right now. My priority is that if you want to practice, you're able to keep practicing.

What If I Want to Give You Money?

I'm incredibly grateful. As you probably know, teaching Tai Chi and Qigong at the Regent Centre is my part-time job, and unfortunately, putting things on pause has meant a sudden and unforeseen end to a source of income for me, as it has for most small businesses that depend on in-person services. Again, I'm fine for March—I'm not at any immediate point of concern, and if you've already paid for March, we're square (well, I owe you two weeks worth of lessons!), but if this whole self-isolation / lockdown thing goes long, and I think it very well might, every little bit will definitely help.

If you're new to these classes (hi!) or looking for guidance about what to pay, my extremely reasonable fee schedule is here.

For Canadians, I accept e-transfer at smithmk2@gmail.com

I've also set up a ko-fi account which should enable you to pay from anywhere.


No comments: