Our new season begins in October 2023! Join us for Tai Chi and Qigong at the Regent Centre on Locke Street South.

On the Future of Classes, This Summer and Possibly Beyond

Hello everyone!

As we continue on with the new reality, I wanted to touch base with everyone who's been part of my classes online and in-person. Summer is always a time when demand for classes drops off, as we go to work in the garden and take part in more outdoor activities. I'm not sure how that will affect classes this summer, since we're all going to be a little bit more limited than usual, but I've already been seeing some reduced numbers. In any case, I'm here for you and class is here for you in its online capacity. 


If it seems like there's dwindling interest in class through July and August, I'll modify the schedule to reflect that, but I plan to continue teaching until the last week of August. If enough people are still interested in training (hint: this means I need to see you at class), I'll keep the schedule as is. In September I'll be taking the same hiatus I always do, with a plan to resume class in October. More details on this will follow as the time approaches. I'll give plenty of heads up before I alter any schedules.

The unfortunate truth of our current situation is that my hands are tied with regard to starting in-person classes again. The limit on gatherings is still (wisely!) in place. Even if it lifts, there is no way I'll be taking any risks with anyone's health. Until I can rest assured that we can run in-person classes safely, I won't be resuming them. 

This could mean that we wait until a vaccine is available, or until there's some kind of unforeseen breakthrough that guarantees a sufficiently low risk to everyone. This fact is tough to face, but I mention it because I hope those of you who haven't been attending, but who do feel a need for training, will consider coming back to class. The online format is different, and can be difficult to get used to, but I don't think there's going to be a better option anytime soon for group classes. I would love to see you! As would your classmates. (If you're camera-shy we can just wave to you, knowing that you're there!) If you haven't visited us online, but you were a regular part of classes at the Regent Centre, rest assured you've been missed.

Because my time and capacity to teach at a high-quality level is limited (I do get tired after a while, y'all!), group online classes are the best way for me to continue to teach, and the best way for you to receive regular instruction and company while you practice.

That having been said, as of now I am considering requests for individual in-person training on a case by case basis. Individual training would be done outside and in a socially distanced manner, with a large buffer zone between me and any attendee(s). Obviously this is only going to be available while the weather is warm enough for training outside, essentially, through to the end of summer. 

In-person sessions won't be a substitute for regular classes. Unfortunately I can't offer them at a frequency that would add up to a full training regime for any one person. But if you feel a need to supplement what you've learned at classes past or present, if you feel like you need some individual corrections for your practice, or to ask me questions, I'm currently piloting ways to manage this safely and legally. At this time, I'm exploring one-on-one sessions only. I may expand to allow two students at a time in the future.

This service will be available for people who have attended my classes in the past, or who are attending classes now. I need to get to know you a bit before I agree to train you individually.

I'm also happy to do one-on-one Zoom sessions for those of you who feel like they need to supplement their training but aren't comfortable with in-person training. I'm continuing to offer distance Reiki for people who would like to work with this powerful healing modality in a safe manner, and group guided meditation sessions, which have been running for the past couple of months, are also going to run on the Full and New Moons for the rest of the summer.

If you're looking to join classes for the first time, Qigong training is currently open to new beginners. Learn about Qigong here. Qigong classes run on Mondays from 1-2pm and Saturdays from noon to 1pm. Guided meditation is also open to all levels.

The fee for online classes is still $40 / month, or $20 for people on ODSP, students, or those dealing with financial hardship.

Guided meditation sessions are a separate fee of $20 / session.

The fee for one-on-one sessions, in-person or otherwise, is $60 / hour. Distance Reiki is $30. 

Please let me know if you have any questions. You can reach me at smithmk2@gmail.com or (905) 521-0043. 

If you've received this message by email, don't hit "reply"—your message will go into the void! Make a separate message with smithmk2@gmail.com in the "to" field. 

No comments: